Following the big 10am opening session for EVERYONE (don’t miss it!), there’ll a rolling programme of (mainly 1 hour) workshops throughout the day, on a wide range of themes.
We’ve crudely categorized them as follows: business + economics… social movements + action… arts, creativity + sport… politics + community… environment + sustainability… social justice + campaigning… youth + kids… skills + personal development… well-being… and Leeds issues. Scroll down to read the full listings, and hover over the title of any workshop title for detailed info on it. (Workshops are not pre-bookable: it’s first-come-first-served on the day…)
Business + Economics
- ‘Business beyond Money’, hosted by Matt Blakeley of Leeds Spotlight.
- ‘Can capitalism help to develop community?’, hosted by Matt Blakeley of Leeds Spotlight.
- ‘Companies that Change the World: Transforming Capitalism from within’, hosted by Greenbean Cars.
- ‘5 Speakers, 5 Sectors, 1 Aim: Positive Action’, hosted by Green Drinks Leeds + People Profit Planet.
- ‘Global taxation: how we pay for what we want as a society, issues of justice, and tax havens’, hosted by Christian Aid.
- ‘Breaking the Stranglehold of the City: A New Politics for our Times’, featuring Prof Doreen Massey and hosted by Leeds Taking Soundings.
- ‘The People’s Budget: helping community groups win a direct say in how their taxes are used’, hosted by Church Action on Poverty.
- (see also Peter Tatchell on Guests page)
Social Movements + Action
- ‘Harnessing power to change: principles of Community Organising’, featuring Lord Maurice Glasman and hosted by Leeds Community Organising.
- ‘From Words to Actions’, hosted by Mike Chitty.
- ‘Healing wounds: strengthening bonds amongst the African Diaspora’, hosted by CODESA.
- ‘How and why to run non-hierarchical, participatory organisations?’, hosted by Oblong.
- ‘Towards Inclusive Organisations’, hosted by BTCV.
- ‘What would Jesus do?’, hosted by Roger Mitchell of 2MT.
- ‘Counterpower: Making Change Happen’, with activist Tim Gee (author of new book ‘Counterpower’)
- ‘Celebrating the 200th Anniversary of the Luddite Uprisings: the Politics of Technology Then and Now’, with the Luddites 200 Organising Forum.
Arts, Creativity + Sport
- ‘World theatre for peace and communication’, with Rose Condo of Creative Connections.
- ‘Alternative communication and propaganda’, with Alan the Paused Propagandist.
- ‘Walking + Talking: an exercise in creativity and interaction with the environment’, hosted by Turveyworld Dance and friends.
- ‘Freedom through Football’, hosted by Republica Internationale FC.
- ‘Soundscapes: an adventure through sound’, hosted by Phil Green.
Politics + Community
- ‘The Big Society: a clean-up for the charity sector?’, hosted by Leeds Salon.
- (see also Lord Maurice Glasman, Remi Kanazi, Benny Wenda, and David Barrie on Guests page)
Environment + Sustainability
- ‘An Introduction to Permaculture’, hosted by Mags Shevlin of Leeds Permaculture Network.
- ‘If you Eat, You’re in!’, hosted by Incredible Edible Todmorden.
- ‘Food and Social Enterprise’, featuring Dave Barrie (co-founder of the People’s Supermarket) and Incredible Edible Todmorden, and hosted by BTCV.
- ‘Health: another reason to create a better world’, hosted by Sarah Walpole, Flora Macdonald and Lucy West of the Climate and Health Council.
- (see also Justin Rowlatt and David Barrie on Guests page)
Social Justice + Campaigning
- ‘Asylum in the UK’, hosted by Bradford Action for Refugees.
- ‘Trafficking in our Midst’, hosted by CROP (the Campaign for the Removal of Pimping).
- ‘Immigration Detention: it’s happening near you’, hosted by AVID (Association of Visitors to Immigration Detainees).
- ‘The White Ribbon Campaign: how men can engage with the issue of violence against women’, hosted by the Leeds City Council Domestic Violence Team.
- ‘Sexual Violence: busting myths and promoting awareness’, hosted by Support After Rape & Sexual Violence Leeds (SARSVL).
- ‘What If…’, hosted by Leeds City of Sanctuary
Youth + Kids
- ‘Young People Changing the World’, hosted by International Service.
- ‘What is Compassionate Parenting?’, hosted by Penny Vine.
- ‘Children Changing the World: how schools are leading the way on fair trade and global justice issues’, hosted by the Leeds Development Education Centre.
Skills + Personal Development
- ‘Co-counselling’, hosted by Alan Thornton.
- ‘Find Your Voice: speaking confidently in public, the pub, anywhere’, hosted by the White Rose Speakers Club.
- ‘Courage to Be: gain courage to give voice and expression to your wisdom and creativity’, with Ruth Steinberg.
- ‘Alternatives to Violence Project’, hosted by Roswitha Jarman and John Ling of the Alternatives to Violence Project.
- ‘Peace is a feeling: exploring what and where peace is’, with Peace Talks Yorkshire.
- ‘The Enneagram: a universal psychological-spiritual map of human behaviour’, hosted by Tom Harris, Chris Howson and Jon Dorsett.
- ‘Existential Encounter and Well-Being: Phenomenological philosophers!!’, hosted by local photographer Walter Lewis.
- ‘How will Leeds evolve?’, hosted by Cafe Scientifique.
- ‘Mappiness: the online playpen for Leeds global activism mapping project’, with Bill Phelps of TIDAL.
- ‘Living with Difference: exploring social attitudes in Leeds and Warsaw’, with Johan Andersson of Live Difference.